I'm a really big fan of android. I decided to compile here all of my
findings with android.
I have a G1. I've since rooted it and am now running the cyanogen froyo
rom CM6. It is great. I reccomend it. I partially created this list to
keep track of what I installed when I blow out configurations and
reinstall. It should be kept resonably upto date , and is a live
document. I have divided the list of apps into catgories suchas
requires root. I hope this is helpful.
I'm also have a debian chroot running on my phone for improved shell
access. I'm a firm believe in compcache and will probably add a swap
partition back to my phone soon.
- Google Maps by Google Inc.
- Scientific Calculator by kreactive
- FBĀReader this plus all the EPUBs from project gutenburg let's
me read the classics
- Meebo is my favorite IM utility
- Mapdroyd lets you use pre downloaded Open Street Maps data. For when your lost in the woods. It still can use GPS info as long as it can get satelite.
- Wikidroyd lets you use pre downloaded wikipedia databases. For when you need to research somthing away from data service.
- Countdown timer from everything android. It is simple, but does its job
- Connectbot is the best ssh and terminal client for android I use it
constantly. It operates best if you put
xterm-color in the /etc/terminfo/x/ directory and then export
TERM=xterm-color (Note: I pulled this terminfo file from Debian's Arm
- Flashlight by Devesh useful when you need light, but otherwise tiny and simple.
- Textedit by Paul Mach is the best texteditor for android unfortunately that isn't saying much, but it is good for taking quick notes to your sdcard.
- Diceroller this is my app at somepoint this will be a link to the apk.
- Antennas this is a very interesting app for learning about the layout of the network near you.
- The Weather Channel App is great, but I'm not a big widget guy. And
I prefer weather.gov
Top Apps requiring root
- android-wifi-tether (probably the best reason to root your phone,
this may all change as froyo comes into light)
- SetCPU for Root Users by MichaelHuang
- I think the G1 needs swap to handle real multitasking. I just dd'd
a swapfile onto my sdcard. Formatted it with mkswap. And then added a
script that swapon the file at boot.
- Swapper2 has also gotten good reviews
- firerat over at the android forums deserves a shoutout. I don't
agree with some of his advice and the patch script seems a little heavy
handed, but I have used it. the sdext command is the best.
- Jewels the bejewelled clone you know you love it
- Robodefense this kept me up a couple nights
- Frozen Bubble is a favortie of mine, but the conrolls are clunky on android
- Scummvm unfortunately I lost this when I went to froyo
Hopefully there will be more info here soon.
Home | Up
You are visitor number 3718 to this site since 2010-07-19.